Jones Hall's new historical marker

Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission
Joseph Merrick Jones Hall
Dedicated in 1941 as
Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
The second library on Tulane University’s uptown campus
Moise H. Goldstein and Associates, Architects

Newcomb and Tulane alumna
Angela Gregory (1903-1990)
Designed the twelve
Printers’ devices in the door jambs

Paul Manship (1885-1966)
Designed the entrance medallion
With the inscription
Libertas ex Sapientia
And the personification of
Alma Mater

Xavier Gonzalez (1898-1993)
Designed the personification of
In the central hall

The building was rededicated in 1971 in honor of
Tulane alumnus and Board President
Joseph Merrick Jones (1902-1963)

For more information about all of the individuals named in this marker, see the Howard-Tilton Memorial Library catalog and the LaRC archival database, both of which are accessible from the Louisiana Research Collection website

There is also an earlier LaRC blog post featuring information about Nathaniel Cortlandt Curtis, Sr., the building's principal designer, and a photograph of the familiar and well-loved artwork, Aspiration.

Posted by Susanna Powers  


Popular posts from this blog


Special Collections Receives Parkway Partners Records

Costume designs for Carnival royalty