The Community Chest of New Orleans was established in 1924, and was the predecessor of the United Way for the Greater New Orleans Area. The Manuscripts department has the scrapbooks of the Community Chest from 1924 through 1957. Included are posters, placards, and other campaign materials used in the first Community Chest drive, minutes and correspondence of several committees, and publicity materials on all Community Chest agencies and philanthropic activities in New Orleans.
The Manuscripts department has a number of collections related to social welfare agencies of New Orleans, including the Christian Woman's Exchange, Community Service Center, Council of Social Agencies of New Orleans, Gaudet Episcopal School and Home, Jewish Children's Home, Jewish Federation of Greater New Orleans, Orleans Parish Neighborhood Council, Protestant Children's Home, Traveler's Aid Society of New Orleans, YWCA of New Orleans, and many more. Please see our LibGuides page and our website for more information.
(Image of 1936 Annual Report Cover, Community Chest of New Orleans. New Orleans Community Chest records, Manuscripts Collection B176, Manuscripts Department, Special Collections, Tulane University Libraries. Image may not be reproduced without permission.)
Posted by Eira Tansey.