Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Discoveries in Jones Hall-- Williams family genealogy and images


LaRC Manuscripts Collection 256 is the family bible given to Tulane in 1973 by Virginia Williams Harris and Espy Williams of New Orleans.  It was donated in memory of their sister, Lealuh (or Leluh) Olivia Williams Davis (1877-1973), a member of the Trinity United Methodist Church.

This bible is considered an archival collection because of its unique and personalized additions. The book itself, a large locking volume with ornate binding, contains handwritten genealogical notations about members of this branch of the African-American Williams family of Louisiana.   In various people's handwriting, there are lovingly written notes listing marriages, births and deaths having happened from the mid-nineteenth century forward through 1973, along with pressed leaves and flowers.  Toward the end of the volume, there is a small batch of family photographs, including tintype and printed individual portraits made at studios in New Orleans, kept probably since before the publication of the book. Other family names represented in this collection include Davis, Claverie, Banks, Harris, Satasfield or Satterfield, Coleman, and Barrilleaux. The volume itself is in fragile condition.


LaRC encourages all Louisiana families to consider donating their family papers as archival collections, which will ensure safekeeping, long-term preservation, and researcher access.

Captions: 
1. undated and uncaptioned photographic portraits of family members--the two smaller prints are tintypes, dating them from the latter half of the nineteenth century, and the mounted photograph is a paper print made at a New Orleans portrait studio, probably early twentieth century.  
2. a page with handwritten genealogical notations through 1973.
Jeanette Davis Davis, Oct. 14, 1903; died May 9, 1929
Rowena Claverie, July 3, 1881; died July 16, 1954
Frances Daisy Banks, Nov. 4, 1879; died Nov. 22, 1957
Leluh Olivia Williams Davis
Born July 28 - 1877   Died Aug. 16 - 1973. 
Images of items held in the Louisiana Research Collection may not be re-published without permission.


Posted by Susanna Powers

Friday, April 8, 2016

1307 Dryades or 1307 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.


The Robert C. Davey School, located in 1936 at 1307 Dryades St., between Erato and Thalia, was built on the site of two previous schools, the Webster School and the Jefferson School. Around 1911, it was named in honor of New Orleans politician Robert Charles Davey (1853-1908), who had served in the U. S. House of Representatives.   Later in the century, this building housed the Myrtle Banks Elementary School.  

LaRC Manuscripts Collection 184 consists of scrapbooks compiled by teachers and students of the Robert C. Davey School. Vol. 1 includes keepsakes commemorating the twenty-fifth anniversary of the school in 1936, such as invitations, programs, telegrams, greeting cards, ribbons, buttons, leaves, children's artwork, mounted photographs of the school, teachers and other school employees, and other items of social ephemera. Vol. 2 includes school papers covering sessions in the 1950s. Images of the nineteenth-century schools on the location, newspaper clippings and other printed items are also included.



The Sunday, April 3, 2016, online Gambit featured a story about a new use for this old building, (this segment of Dryades is now known as Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.)  Dryades Public Market hosts opening ceremonies April 14 and 16.     Congratulations on this new venture! 


Captions: from Manuscripts Collection 184, v. 1.   Photograph of the Davey School around 1936, a telegram of congratulations on the 25th anniversary celebrations, and an invitation to the same event.  Images of items in the Louisiana Research Collection may not be re-published without permission.


Posted by Susanna Powers